Here is a link to an article J John wrote for the Daily Mirror: Six reasons why I believe Halloween is far from harmless. Here is another good blog post he has written on the subject.
If the answer makes no sense, God is probably fishing for us to ask more questions:
- Why am I seeing that?
- What does it mean?
- I don’t get it. Can You tell me more?
I find that I can fool my overly analytical mind into listening by asking less threatening questions. For example, rather than, ‘What did God say?’ I ask, ‘While praying, What came to mind? What was my first impression? If Jesus were speaking, I sense He would say …’ Continue reading “What about if what I hear makes no sense?”
- Ask God to show you what the block is. Whenever we take that step, He will provide a word or picture or impression of what the block looks like. Sometimes the block may appear as a wall, a boulder or similar obstacle. Other times we may see a dark ‘something’ or a little demon. We may even see a person in our lives whom we need to forgive or forsake. If the nature of the image we see is not specific, we ask God to name it. We may see a label or hear a word that describes the block. Blocks may include emotions, lies, sins, people, demons or many other things. Don’t guess. Don’t try to work it out yourself. Just listen. Believe that God has ‘waved this flag’ to get your attention. He is also prepared to resolve the issue.
- Ask God to show you where the block came from. Dealing with the block at source often involves going back into a memory with Jesus momentarily. But having resolved the event(s) that gave rise to the block, you’ll find that the block itself is either gone or you can ask Jesus to come and remove it.
- Ask God how it can be removed. Sometimes the Lord will say, ‘Just ask’. On other occasions, he may ask you to put something right first. This may involve repentance or forgiveness. He may want you to hear a truth and choose to believe it, renounce a lie or break some inner vow you’ve made. Again, you won’t need to be the one to fix it. Just ask, listen and obey. When in doubt, I just keep asking the Lord, ‘What needs to happen next?’ until He tells me the block is ready to go. Most commonly, Jesus will appear and may stamp on the block, brush it away, chuck it into an abyss or kick it out of existence. Psalm 103 vv 11-12.
Lest this sound complicated, the whole process frequently takes about a minute. That’s the norm. It need not be a big deal. It’s just really sad that we put up with them so long! Blocks are not the mountainous masses we imagine them to be. I picture them as little wooden children’s blocks that our heavenly Father chucks aside after discussing them with his children.
In order for teachers to play their true role in the culture of the Church, they will have to pursue a supernatural lifestyle. When Jesus taught a crowd about the Kingdom of Heaven, He always showed them the Kingdom… If we see Jesus doing it, then we are on to something good. If He wasn’t doing anything like what we are doing, we’d better ask ourselves, What went wrong? The days of teaching our limited experiences are over.
A Dean at a Bible College invited me to join him in praying for Josh. This young man of God was seeking help in his quest to hear God’s voice. He claimed he could not and had never been able to hear the Lord. By now you’ll know that I would be pretty skeptical about a claim like that. Continue reading “Stolen seeds and Concrete Walls”
When Heaven stops manifesting itself in the Church, Christians have to ‘prove’ somehow that they are reasonable for following Jesus. When the power of the Gospel is replaced by arguments… and the Church insists on a logical gospel… everyone should be concerned… A person experiencing the touch of Heaven is proof enough that Jesus is who He says He is.
Do you carry a burden for someone else? Let’s take them to Gethsemane and meet Jesus there in prayer.
Look for Him as He’s weeping before the Father on their behalf. Kneel beside Him and agree with what He prays.
Ask the Lord what He feels about that burden and connect with His heart. Speak the words, ‘Lord, let Your heart be comforted’ and watch what He says and does. Follow Him emotionally until He comes to peace or joy. Let His comfort overflow to you.
Then ask Him, ‘Why are You at peace concerning this burden?’ or ‘Why are You joyful about this person?’ He will usually answer with a word of promise that ignites faith in us to intercede.
- God Himself is never blocked. Whenever we have trouble hearing, God is fully capable of speaking to you in a way you cannot mistake. So, why doesn’t He?
- God led You there. Whenever we feel blocked in our ability to hear, it is because something exists that God wants us to see.
- There’s always a way in. If one particular door doesn’t seem to open, I should try the next one. No need to walk away in defeat.
This is our one hundredth post on the Explore blog!
Crossing over into other imaginary lands is familiar to readers of Christian authors like C.S. Lewis. But it should be just as familiar to readers of Bible writers and prophets such as Daniel, Ezekiel or John. Sometimes visions and dreams were something the prophets ‘saw’. At other times, they were more like spiritual places where they were taken to meet God. Continue reading “Meeting God in Dreams and Visions”
Ask God to remind you of a memory that represents a ‘first’ for you. Maybe it was a first day at a school or job. It might be a first performance or a first date. As you step back into that memory, do you remember how you felt that day?
Jesus says ‘I am with you always’ and ‘I will never leave you or abandon you’. Now ask Jesus to show you where He was on that occasion. Ask Him, ‘What were you doing?’ He loves to show us that He is with us, even in our darkest times. As you sense His presence in that memory, draw close to Him and tell Him how you felt. What does He say or do about that?