- Is this the voice of God’s Spirit or simply an active imagination?
- Am I just hearing what I want to hear?
- How do I know this is not some counterfeit?
- How can I avoid being deluded or deceived?
- Is it possible to verify whether what I heard was truly the voice of God?
- What about those times when I seem to get it wrong?
Such questions are important and a helpful part of our learning curve.
However they will help us only insofar as we sincerely seek and expect to find their answers.
Far too often they are asked as rhetorical statements with no hope of a solution. The silent conclusion is that we cannot know and can never say with confidence, ‘God has spoken’.